National Headquarters 1825 K Street
NW Suite 200 Washington, D.C. 20006
West Coast Office 555
Twelfth Street Suite 1230 Oakland, CA 94607
2016-18 PUBLIC INTEREST FELLOWSHIP
WASHINGTON, D.C. or OAKLAND, CA
Public Justice, a national public interest law firm dedicated to pursuing high
impact lawsuits to combat social and economic injustice, protect the Earth’s
sustainability, and challenge predatory corporate conduct and government
abuses, seeks to hire a law school graduate to serve as a Fellow for two years
in either its Washington, D.C. headquarters or its Oakland, California
office. The Fellow will help develop and litigate Public Justice’s
cases. The position will start in the fall of 2016.
Public Justice is involved in a broader range of high-impact,
cutting-edge litigation than any other public interest firm in the
nation. Our lawsuits fight for consumers’ and victims’ rights, the
environment, civil rights and civil liberties, public health and safety,
workers’ rights, government and corporate accountability, and the protection of
the poor and powerless. Our Access to Justice Campaign works to keep the
courthouse doors open for all—by battling federal preemption, unnecessary court
secrecy, class action bans and abuses, unfair mandatory arbitration, and other
efforts to deprive people of their day in court.
The Fellow will work collaboratively with Public Justice’s staff
attorneys, outside lawyers who support Public Justice’s work, and other public
interest groups in order to develop and bring precedent-setting and socially
significant litigation. He or she may also help to develop materials
designed to educate members of the public and the bar about Public Justice’s
cases and the issues they represent.
- Superb analytical, legal research, legal writing, and speaking skills
- Preference given to individuals with at least two years of litigation experience
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks at a time and work in a fast-paced environment
- Self-motivation and proven ability to work independently
- Ability to work well with others and diverse groups
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to follow-through
- Positive attitude and can-do personality
- Strong organizational skills
- Willingness to travel for several weeks per year
- Healthy sense of outrage and desire to change the world for the better
Salary is $53,000 per
year. Excellent benefits. Public Justice is an equal opportunity
employer with a non-smoking environment. Diversity valued.
Applications invited regardless of race, gender, national origin, sexual
orientation, age, or disability. Your application should consist of two
electronic files: (1) your cover letter, resume, transcript, and references in
a single .pdf file; and (2) a writing sample exhibiting persuasive legal
writing in another .pdf file. Please send both files to email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is March 31, 2016. For more
information, please visit our website at www.publicjustice.net.