Kaiser President Inspires & Entertains, 'Court Funding' Event in L.A., MCCA Employee Choice Awards
Tuesday, November 20, 2012
Posted by: CMCP
CMCP eBulletin - November 20, 2012
Kaiser President Bernard J. Tyson inspires and entertains 400+ diverse lawyers (and talks about Lil’ Wayne!) during his keynote address at
CMCP’s 23rd Annual Business Conference in San Francisco!
"Bringing the Power of Diversity to a Changing America"
The award luncheon was awesome.
I wanted the keynote speech to go on for another 30 minutes! Wow.
--Maki Daijogo, Daijogo & Pedersen LLP
Congratulations to Mr. Tyson for his recent promotion as Kaiser Permanente's next CEO!
|Do You Care|
|Here's one reason why you should:|
"To Make Budget, L.A. Superior Will Shut Down Slew of Courthouses"
From The Recorder, November 14, 2012. Read Full Story >>
|State Controller John Chiang|
speaks about the impact on
Court Funding in the wake of
California's State Budget Crisis.
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 4, 2012
5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
515 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
CMCP Members: Free
Free Parking After 5pm in Allen Matkins Building Garage
Fremont Ave. between 5th & 6th Streets
Program Starts 6:00 pm
Followed by Networking Reception
Hosted & Sponsored by
|465 CALIFORNIA STREET, SUITE 635|
SAN FRANCISCO, CA | p: 415-782-8990 |
|MCCA recognizes outstanding in-house legal departments that progress in changing the legal profession. The Employer of Choice Award is designed to spotlight industry leaders who have a commitment to and succeed at creating and maintaining an inclusive corporate legal department. The Employer of Choice Award is based on the concept behind the Creating Pathways to Diversity Research Project, which is a three-year effort to study how corporate law departments and law firms design, implement, and monitor their diversity progress. In the first year, Pathways revealed that, with respect to their diversity efforts, most corporate law departments can be placed on a spectrum from compliance with federal regulations to inclusion. Their transition and progress through these stages are facilitated by integrated initiatives that align diversity goals with strategic business goals. The Pathways concept is as follows:|
- Compliance brings people into an organization.
- Diversity demonstrates an appreciation for their differences.
- Inclusion creates an environment in which people want to stay.
|The Employer of Choice award will be presented at MCCA's Diversity Honors Gala at the Lincoln Center in New York City on September 17, 2013 to those organizations that are successful at hiring, retaining, and developing, today’s best and brightest legal talent as the Employers of Choice. The selection criteria include:|
- Alignment of diversity activities with long-term, corporate-wide strategic initiatives;
- Commitment from senior management that translates into measurable objectives at the business unit level;
- Metrics for accountability;
- Compensation of senior management in the legal department tied to the results of diversity efforts;
- Substantive training programs;
- Demonstrated institutional implementation or design of policies and practices that support people in doing their best work and developing to their fullest potential;
- Leadership through creating an environment that eliminates barriers to communication and encourages everyone’s contribution;
- Formal programs or policies that value, encourage, and enable individual attorney growth and improvement (e.g. mentoring, skills development seminars, etc.).
Deadline: December 6, 2012
Click here for application
|To be considered for the 2013 Employer of Choice Award in a designated geographical region, complete the nomination form and provide summaries for each answer. Mail to: 1111 Pennsylvania Ave., NW Washington, DC 20004 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org|
Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
CMCP Member Employer of Choice Award Winners:
Chevron – R.Hewitt Pate, Vice President and General Counsel
PG&E – Hyun Park, Senior Vice President and General Counsel
Copyright 2012 California Minority Counsel Program